The World According To Google - satellite pictures of the most interesting places on the World, satellite maps: Most interesting places of the World (on google maps)

Choose category

Shortcut » Newest places | Posts with videos | Selected places | Submit interesting place

Random places:

Advertisements:

Marine Corps Air Station Ewa, Hawaii, USA

January 14th, 2007 / / Links: Google Earth, Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, Virtual Earth / Nearest places
 
 

Photo: Overhead MCAS Ewa in 1944

Marine Corps Air Station Ewa (MCAS Ewa) was a United States Marine Corps air station that was located 17 miles west of Pearl Harbor on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. The base was hit during the attack on Pearl Harbor and later served as the hub for all Marine aviation units heading into combat in the Pacific Theater during World War II. The based was closed in 1952 because its runways were too short for the jet aircraft and expansion was impossible due to the proximity of Naval Air Station Barbers Point. Ewa has been abandoned since 1952 however two of its runways are still visible from the air and many of the revetments still remain in good condition.

Originally founded as an airship base for the United States Navy in 1925, The airship program was cancelled after 3 of the 4 dirigibles located there crashed during the 1930’s. The bases’ upgrade to air station began in September 1940 and on February 3, 1941 it was commissioned Marine Corps Air Station Ewa.

By the onset of World War II, the air station had four runways and numerous hangars. On December 7, 1941, MCAS Ewa was the first installation hit during the attack on Pearl Harbor. All forty eight aircraft based there were destroyed .

In April 1944, the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing was relocated to MCAS Ewa where they stayed for the remainder of the war .

The start of the Korean War saw another surge in activity at MCAS Ewa but because the runways were becoming more and more unsuitable for jet aircraft the Marine Corps shifted its aviation assets to Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay. Ewa was officially closed on June 18, 1952 and its property assumed by Naval Air Station Barbers Point.

[Source: Wikipedia]

Send by: sienik

Leave a Reply