The National Exhibition Centre (NEC) is an exhibition centre in Solihull, near Birmingham, England. It is near junction 6 of the M42 motorway, and is adjacent to Birmingham International Airport and Birmingham International railway station. It has 21 interconnected halls, set in grounds of 628 acres (2.54 km²). It is the seventh largest exhibition centre in Europe.
The NEC Arena, host to large music concerts, is part of the complex. The 11,000 capacity NEC Arena was the largest multi-purpose arena in the UK when opening in the mid-1980s and although no longer the largest it is still a popular venue for touring acts. Together, the NEC and the NEC Arena host over 5 million visitors each year.
Since the 1980s, it has hosted performances by many international musicians and music groups, several of which have played at the NEC Arena on more than one occasion. Canadian rock band Rush filmed their VHS and DVD release entitled A Show of Hands at the NEC Arena in 1988. Some of this recording featured in the the audio album of the same name. Also, in 2003, the NEC Arena was host to WWE's Passport to Pain tour.
The Coventry Transport Museum (formerly known as the Museum of British Road Transport) is a major motor museum, located in Coventry, England. It houses the most extensive collection of British-made road transport in the world.
There are more than 240 cars and commercial vehicles, 100 motorcycles, 200 bicycles.
The most notable exhibits in the museum are Thrust2 and ThrustSSC, the British jet cars which broke the land speed record in 1983 and 1997 respectively.
Many "conventional" cars are also on display, including an Austin Allegro, Austin Metro, Ford Escort MK2, Hillman Imp, Peugeot 206 and Peugeot 405.
The museum is located in Coventry as the city was previously the centre of the British car industry, although most of the city's car factories have now closed.
Send by: roberto231
The National Motorcycle Museum, Coventry Road, Bickenhill, Solihull, England holds the national motorcycle collection.
It opened in October 1984 but was severely damaged by fire on 16 September 2003 with the loss of 400 motorcycles. It was rebuilt and opened again on 1 December 2004.
In addition to over 650 motorcycles which cover sixty years of UK manufacture the site has conference facilities. Its main entrance is from the roundabout situated at the junction of the A45 and the M42.
Send by: roberto231
The Coptic Museum is a museum in Coptic Cairo, Egypt with the largest collection of Egyptian Christian artifacts in the world. It was founded by Morcos Smeika Pasha in 1910 to house Coptic antiquities. The museum traces the history of Christianity in Egypt from its beginnings to the present day. It was erected over a land offered by the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria under the guardianship of Pope Cyril V.
The Coptic museum houses the world's most important examples of Coptic art.
The Coptic Museum contains the world's largest collection of Coptic artifacts and artwork. Coptic monuments display a rich mixture of Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman traditions, thus providing a link between ancient and Islamic Egypt. The objects are grouped into different mediums, such as stonework, woodwork, metalwork, textiles and manuscripts.. The total number of objects on display is about 15,000 objects.
The Auto & Technik Museum Sinsheim opened in 1981 in Sinsheim, Germany and is run by a registered alliance called "Auto & Technik Museum Sinsheim e.V." which also runs the Technik Museum Speyer. As of 2004, it has more than 3,000 exhibits and an exhibition area of more than 50,000 m² (indoors and outdoors). In addition to exhibitions, the museum also has a 22m x 27m IMAX 3D theatre. It receives more than 1 million visitors per year.
In 2003, Air France donated one of its retiring Concorde aircraft to the museum. With a Tupolev Tu-144 on display since 2001, it is the only place where both supersonic passenger aircraft are shown.
The museum's alliance acquired a Russian Buran space shuttle in 2004 which is planned to be included in the collection soon.
Send by: Stan
The Qolşärif mosque located in Kazan is the largest mosque in Russia and, reputedly, in Europe.
Originally, the mosque was built in Kazan Kremlin in the 16th century. It was named by Qolşärif who served there. Qolsharif died with his numerous students while defending Kazan from Russian occupants in 1552. It is believed that the building featured minarets, both in the form of cupolas and tents. Its design was traditional for Volga Bulgaria, although elements of early Renaissance and Ottoman architecture could have been used as well. In 1552, during the storm of Kazan it was destroyed by the Russians.
Tatar scholars speculate as to whether some elements of Qolşärif mosque can be seen in Saint Basil's Cathedral in Moscow (8 minarets, a central cupola, not typical for Russian architecture). Since 1996 the mosque has been rebuilt in Kazan Kremlin, although its look is decisively modern. Its inauguration on July 24, 2005 marked the beginning of celebrations dedicated to the Millennium of Kazan.