The Victory Column (German: Siegessäule) is one of the more famous sights of Berlin. Designed by Heinrich Strack after 1864 to commemorate the Prussian victory in the Danish-Prussian war, by the time it was inaugurated on 2 September 1873 Prussia had also defeated Austria in the Austro-Prussian War and France in the Franco-Prussian War (1870/1871), giving the statue a new purpose. Different from the original plans, these later victories inspired the addition of the bronze sculpture of Victoria, 8.3 meters high and weighing 35 tonnes, designed by Friedrich Drake. Berliners, with their fondness for disrespectful names of famous buildings, call the statue Goldelse, meaning something like "golden Lizzy".
Anchored on a solid fundament of polished red granite, the column sits on a hall of pillars with a glass mosaic designed by Anton von Werner. The column itself consists of three solid blocks of sandstone, which are decorated by cannon pipes captured from the enemies of the aforementioned three wars. A relief decoration on the foundation, which had to be removed on request of the victorious allied forces in 1945, was restored in the 1980s.
Photo: 126 German aeroplanes shot down by No. 303 Squadron during the Battle of Britain. Painted on a Hurricane.
The Polish War Memorial is a memorial erected to remember the contribution of soldiers from Poland who helped the Allied cause during World War II.
It is situated beside the A40 between Ruislip and Northolt, Middlesex, England, in the London Borough of Hillingdon. Other Polish war memorials exist within the United Kingdom, including those at Invergordon, Scotland.
The Polish Air Forces in France and Great Britain supported the Allied powers during World War II. A group of Polish officers who remained in Britain after the war formed the Polish Air Force Association and decided to erect a memorial. A committee, led by Air Vice Marshal Izycki, raised the necessary funds, and the memorial was unveiled on 2 November 1948 by Lord Tedder, Chief of the Air Staff, after a speech by Viscount Portal of Hungerford.
Photo: A Spitfire MK V from the 303 Kościuszko Squadron
Spitfire - monument in Northolt. During Battle of Britain (II World War) the Northolt was the base of the highest scoring unit during the Battle of Britain No. 303 Polish Fighter Squadron.
was an iconic British single-seat fighter used by the RAF and many Allied countries in the Second World War.
Produced by Supermarine, the Spitfire was designed by R.J. Mitchell, who continued to refine the design until his death from cancer in 1937. Its elliptical wing had a thin cross-section, allowing a higher top speed than the Hawker Hurricane and other contemporary designs; it also resulted in a distinctive appearance, enhancing its overall streamlined features. Much loved by its pilots, the Spitfire saw service during the whole of the Second World War, in all theatres of war, and in many different variants.
The Big Nickel is a nine-metre (30-foot) replica of a 1951 Canadian nickel, located at the grounds of Dynamic Earth in Greater Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. It is listed in the Guinness Book of Records, as the world's largest coin.
The nickel was originally proposed by Sudbury businessman Ted Szilva in the early 1960s as a project to mark the upcoming Canadian centennial. The Canadian centennial committee rejected the proposal, but Szilva continued to develop the idea as a private project. In cooperation with local artist Bruno Cavallo, Szilva developed a monument consisting of two vertical columns and several angled iron pieces framing an inside layer of metal skin, a middle layer of plywood and an outer layer of stainless steel sheet metal.
The coin was erected in 1964, and the site officially opened on July 22 of that year. Penny and dime monuments and a small children's amusement park were also erected on the same site. However, because of the particular prominence of nickel in the city's mining industry, the Big Nickel surpassed the other coins as a landmark and an international symbol of Sudbury. In 1965, Szilva also added a mine shaft on the site to offer visitors a tour of a mining facility.